Since 2014 (probably longer) I had the idea of building an intranet tool for managing family photos and videos. I was using digikam at that time, which is a great tool albeit with restrictions
- it only runs on one computer (no network, multi-user access)
- videos were not or hardly supported
- on the other hand, it has a lot of features that I don't need.
I just want to manage my files, tag them, delete some of them... Find them. That's all
I had a look around for other tools, but didn't find anything that fulfilled my requirements. Then I started building something. A project that started and stopped multiple times.
At the moment, there is an early version of Gachou running on the server in my basement. But when I tried to refactor things, I noticed how hard that had become.
So here comes the big rewrite, and this time, "everything will be better (tm)"
- Clean architecture
- Java-Backend (Quarkus) instead of Node.js
- Frontend in React, with modern tools
- Target to run in docker-compose
- Should also run in a Serverless environment
- Some feature planning
- Documentation and blog posts, maybe videos about the progress
This is a one-man free-time project. Don't expect fast progress.